top of page
  • Writer's pictureEryk The Strange

Interview with Lovelorn Dolls

Super stoked, we got to interview Belgian goth metal band Lovelorn Dolls! Their music is absolutely fantastic, and we definitely recommend checking it out.

Q: Tell the readers who you are and what you do.

Bernard: Lovelorn Dolls is a gothic rock act, influenced by bands like Lacuna Coil, The Birthday Massacre, Theatre of Tragedy, but we also draw our influences from fantasy cinema, manga and lowbrow movement, pop surrealist visual artists. All this creates a sort of mix called Lovelorn Dolls


Q: What made you decide to do a cover of "Lullaby"?

Bernard : In fact it was a request from our label, Alfa Matrix. They wanted to release a compilation of The Cure covers. We had the opportunity to choose the title and we took Lullaby. This is not our first cover of this band. On the House of Wonders album, we covered “Just like Heaven”.

Kristell : I chose “Lullaby” because it’s one of my favorite songs. When I was little, I saw the video clip playing on TV, and it scared me and fascinated me at the same time. And then, the song is magical.


Q: What inspired your band name?

Kristell : It's the title of a song from Leaves' Eyes, one of Liv Kristine's (Theater Of Tragedy) musical projects. The song is quite hypnotic, and puts you in a quite sad mood. The kind of mood I love. I found the word beautiful and graceful. Then, we added “dolls” because there is a lot of talk about little girls in the visuals.


Q: Have you booked many shows for this year?

Bernard : Absolutely no concert dates are planned at this time. Playing live is something we love to do but touring comes at a cost we couldn't afford. On the other hand, if we have the opportunity to do festivals here and there that would be great. But to date we have no opportunities.


Q: You haven't put out a full album in a few years. Are you working on one? If yes, what can you tell us about it?

Bernard : Our fourth album is ready. It is mixed and mastered and will be available during the month of May. It consists of 12 tracks and there are two male guests who will lend their voices. Expect to be surprised. This album is a bit of a summation of the previous ones. We wanted to incorporate acoustic drums like on House of Wonders. For this we called on Glen Welmann with whom I already worked on another project. Of course there are always guitars and synths.


Q: What is the biggest struggle you face as a musician?

Bernard : Kris will certainly agree with me if I answer that it is to make yourself known. Currently we no longer have to please an audience but first and foremost algorithms... It completely changes the rules of the game. But we must not go against the flow and so we will adapt.

Kristell : The problem is that, when you release an album, there is 30% of the time linked to creation, and the remaining 70%, we will spend trying to promote it: music videos, photoshoots, PR, booking, communication on social networks. And suddenly we no longer have time to make music!


Q: Who inspires you?

Kristell : Everything can inspire me. Music, a film, a TV series, a photograph, a visit to the museum, everything related to art inspires me. Everything mixes together in my head unconsciously and it gives shape to Lovelorn Dolls.


Q: If you were an animal, what kind would you be and why?

Bernard : I would be an animal who can play the guitar haha.  Maybe an ape then.

Kristell : I would definitely be a cat. I have several at home, and I love them, I understand them, they understand me. I must have been a cat in another life...


Q: Where can people follow you?

Kristell : We are everywhere: Facebook, Instagram, Spotify, Bandcamp, TikTok, Soundcloud, but the best is to subscribe to our newsletter on our website

Q: What do you want to say to the people who read this?

Kristell : If you've read this far, thank you, that means you're an avid fan. I salute you, and I hope you like the new Lovelorn Dolls songs. See you soon !

25 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page